Hey Military Spouses – Listen up! What if I told you that you could have a career that you love that could move from duty station to duty station with you? Would you believe it was too good to be true? It is not too good to be true.
At first glance, Stars & Stripes Doulas, LLC looks like they support military families through pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period. But take a second and peel back more layers to get a real idea of exactly what it is that we are doing! We are supporting military families by making a career for the military spouse that has the ability to transfer to any duty station in the world that she moves to follow her husband’s career. Now she can build her own career anywhere she moves! This was a very important caveat of our business plan – sustainability and professional growth for military spouses. We understand that military spouses are often among the most over-educated and underpaid populations and we want to create change!
Our fee structure is no secret. We are happy to share exactly what our doulas earn. The Lead Doula for a chapter will earn $400. She has more responsibilities and should earn more money to adequately compensate her for her time. The other doulas in that chapter will earn $300 per birth. Many people do not understand exactly what this means in terms of hourly pay. Let me break it down for you. Our doulas work a shared call schedule. This means that out of a month, they are on call for 15 days and their doula partner is on call for 15 days. This hopefully means that a mom does not have to miss special events because she needs to go to work as things scheduled in advance can be scheduled around.
Assuming that there are two labor clients and a doula team each gets one of those two clients, this is what you could expect pay to look like.
- Client A –
- Lead Doula attends birth – invests 15 active working hours into client $400
- Other Doula does not attend birth—invests 2 active working hours into client $300
- Client B –
- Lead Doula does not attend birth – invests 2 active working hours into client $400
- Other Doula attends birth – invests 15 active working hours into client $300
For two clients, each doula invests 17 active hours working. Broken down hourly, this is:
- Lead Doula $800/17 hours= $47.06 per hour
- Other Doula $600/17 hours= $35.29 per hour
Can you believe that? You can work 34 hours a MONTH and make $1600 if you are the Lead Doula or $1200 if you are the non-lead doula. What would that type of money do for your family and for you personally as you grow a career that you feel passionate about while also feeling passionate about supporting your husband’s career with every ounce of your being?
What qualities do you need to be a Stars & Stripes Doula?
- You need the utmost professionalism while still possessing compassion about this field.
- You must have in-person doula training (this costs approximately $600 but is earned back in 17 hours of work).
- You must have an up to date CPR card.
- You must have military affiliation. (We do accept non-military spouses as candidates but you must have an understanding and knowledge about the military culture).
- You must have the desire to carry out the Stars and Stripes mission!
What are you waiting for? Contact Stars and Stripes Doulas at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to submit a letter of intent or resume. We are happy to answer questions via email or Facebook or schedule a call to speak to you about this unique opportunity!
Editors Note: For full disclosure and transparency, there is $300 remaining after the doulas are paid. $50 goes to the doula that performs a two hour postpartum shift and the remaining $250 is invested into Stars and Stripes Doulas, LLC which covers advertising, marketing materials, utilities, supplies, tax preparation, bonuses, tokens of appreciation, and other business expenses.