There are so many fun things to do in the Hampton Roads, that we often miss those little gems hidden by all the big tourist attractions. If you are still looking for something to do this last bit of summer, be sure to check these off your bucket list!
- Plantation Row – A short drive from Williamsburg down Rt 5, you will find Plantation Row! Multiple plantations will be found here with several of them still being working farms! Sherwood Forest Plantation is the home of President John Tyler, and as the longest frame house in America, it is still lived in by the Tyler family. Other favorite plantations include Belle Air, Berekley, and Shirly Plantation! Enjoy taking a step back in time to see how farms were worked during the Colonial days!
- Peninsula SPCA’s Petting Zoo – Located in Newport News, and in business since the 1980s, this is the only facility on the peninsula where you can get up close and interact with the animals (except for the black panther of course). Pack a lunch and have a picnic, and then dig out those quarters for the feeding machines and enjoy the time seeing the goats, donkeys, alpacas, and many other animals!
- Grandview Nature Preserve – This tucked away beach along the Chesapeake Bay is located in Hampton, offers 3 miles of coast that includes the remains of the Black River Lighthouse which was destroyed in 1956 by a storm. Beware that getting to the beach will require a scenic half mile walk through tidal wetlands, and is said to be one of the best places for bird watching in the area!
- Johnson and Sons Seafood – Low key advertising keeps this hot spot off the main grid, but if you travel down the road to the little village of Eclipse outside of Suffolk, you’ll find this family owned, waterfront business. Since the 1970s, Johnson and Sons has been offering fresh off the boat seafood. You’ll want to go early as the menu revolves around what is they caught that day or the day before!
- Amazing Glazed – After finishing up your seafood from Johnson and Sons, head over to Chesapeake and get yourself a gelato donut sandwich from Amazing Glazed! Designed with a cake-y donut, add a scoop of homemade gelato in the middle from one of your favorite flavors, and almost any topping you can imagine!
Your weekend plans just got better!
Written by: Megan Harless, Stars and Stripes Doulas of Hampton Roads