I am not a food blogger. My photos aren’t beautiful. What I am though, is a lover of food! All food! We all have that one special recipe that you pull out when people come over. Usually it is a stuffy, expensive and hard to make dish. But for me – I choose a 4 ingredient dish that is simple to make yet pleases everyone – Even those picky kids! I fully give credit to my godmother for this recipe — she is absolutely the best cook I know. This is one of the few recipes that I can actually replicate though!
Chicken Yum Yums
2-3 raw chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
Tub of Flavored Cream Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1 egg white (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Thaw puff pastry on counter outside of package for at least an hour (this is the part that is the hardest — remembering to thaw the puff pastry in advance!)
- Unfold puff pastry and dip your finger in warm water and go down the seam of the puff pastry – this helps keep the pastry from tearing when you’re folding them up
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares
- Use a butter knife to put about a tablespoon of cream cheese in the center of each square of pastry. (You can use any savory flavor of cream cheese — onion & chives, garden vegetable, even jalapeno would be great if you feeding little ones!)
- Place a small handful of chicken on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold the opposite edges up and pinch together. You may use water to help the seam stick.
- Fold the ends over to close up the packet.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, seam side down.
- You may use an egg white egg wash to brush the outside of the packet to give it a nice shiny golden brown color while cooking. (We have an egg allergy in our house so I did not opt to add an egg wash to mine but it is still delicious!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
So I gave you one example of how to use puff pastries but really this one ingredient is so versatile to make so many other things! You find them in the freezer section of your grocery store by the frozen fruit and pie crusts usually. Other ideas include taking frozen mixed veggies, raw chicken and a spoon full of jarred gravy to make miniature pot pies. You can also use pizza sauce, mozzerella and pepperonis to make pizza pockets. I have used these to make apple dumplings as well! Tell us your creations with puff pastry!
Enjoy this simple yet amazing dish! It is sure to become one of your favorites!
Written by Melanie Binversie, Owner & Lead Doula of Stars and Stripes Doulas of Washington DC