So, you want to become a military doula but the training investment seems out of reach…
We understand! As military doulas we understand the burden of using family money for a career investment. With the overwhelming number of MLM companies, pyramid schemes, and scams existing that prey on military families you may be skeptical of this doula thing and we don’t blame you! We want to help you make an informed decision about investing your family’s money into training with ProDoula.
- Your training investment will be earned back quickly if you put in the time and effort. Most doulas charge approximately $1,000 for labor support and $40 per hour for postpartum support. Think of how quickly you will earn that $595 back!
- A college degree will cost on average $44,000. Many doulas have earned degrees in a wide variety of specializations and you will be making the same exact salary without a degree! If you have a degree or many degrees, take a deep breath, and embark on this journey to pay back those student loans while doing something you love!
- The unemployment rate for military spouses is nearly 26% – more than 3x’s the national average. Reports state that military spouses, if employed, make 38% less than their civilian counterparts. PCS moves, licensing requirements, deployments and lack of opportunities can be blamed for such staggering statistics.-NMFA
- You are making an investment into yourself, into your family, and into your future. One thing is for certain, knowledge is power, and no one can take the knowledge or skills you gain through this training from you!
- Working with a military-affiliated doula agency allows you to earn an income and support your family while also enhancing the pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum experience for those in your community AND without the overhead and business expenses.
- ProDoula is an internationally-recognized doula certification agency for the modern doula. You will find mentorship, nonjudgmental support, extensive training, ongoing education, professionalism, and amazing relationships by choosing to certify with ProDoula.
I know what you’re thinking! “Okay…that’s all great…but how do I actually afford this training?”
- Payment Plans–Contact ProDoula and ask about payment plan options! Remember that support I talked about? They want you to succeed in this business and offering payment plans is one way they will help!
- Tax Refund–It’s almost tax time and for many military families that means a hefty tax return. Instead of splurging on fancy vacations, new toys, or frivolous wants, why not invest in an opportunity that will change your life? You will pay for a certification and knowledge that will bring financial stability to your life and a career path for which you get to be the author! Independent or Solo Doula, Independent Contractor, Agency Owner…you choose!
- Credit Card–We would never advocate going into serious debt; however, a small debt with a quick plan to repay may be just what you need to launch this career off the ground. Caution: Only borrow what you need and have a CLEAR plan in place to pay it back with your first two clients. Make a written pact to yourself and your family to do this.
- Small Loans or Grants–Navy Marine Corps Relief Society offers small loans and grants including the Quick Assist Loan (up to $500), Educational Assistance, as well as financial counseling to Sailor and Marine families. Army Emergency Relief provides scholarship and other financial assistance to soldiers. The Air Force Aid Society provides educational assistance to Airmen and their families. The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Program offers educational assistance to Coasties and their families. Other options include loans through your bank or Pioneer Loans.
- Scholarships–We know scholarships exist for military spouses looking for training and employment opportunities and we encourage you to search for them and share any you have successfully received. A great place to start is Career One Stop. Operation Once In A Lifetime is another great organization! We also encourage you to google terms such as “military spouse scholarships”, “military spouse grants”, and “military spouse education assistance” and reach out to these organizations for support. We’re happy to help you draft a letter to the organization or share in our experience or expertise in the field.
- Family–Is there a special family member that has financial resources that they may be able to lend or give to help you reach your goals? Perhaps they will offer the funds as a gift for the holidays, a birthday, or other celebration? Just ask! You may be surprised.
- Side Work–We admire hustle! Can you babysit, drive for Uber, clean houses, bake cakes, or other services for military families in your community to save up for the training?
Tell us your tips & tricks to save up for ProDoula training! We can’t wait to call you a friend, colleague, and DOULA!
Written by: Melissa Nauss, Owner & Lead Doula of Stars and Stripes Doulas of New Orleans