Speaking as a military spouse, there are many annoying things about moving every few years. One of those things definitely has to be finding a quality salon/hairdresser at each new location. I have noticed that the topic of many Facebook group posts and Google searches has been something along the lines of “who will jack my hair up the least?” As someone who has been wronged in the salon chair before, I totally understand the need for quality service when it comes to maintaining one’s ‘do. After all, a visit to the salon can also be a great way to pamper yourself before or after having a baby. Stars and Stripes Doulas offers ante and postpartum services so that parents can make that visit to the salon or spa, worry free!
I’ve scoured the internet for the best salons in the Washington, D.C. area, so you would not have to:
- POSH Hair Spa & Waxing This Washington D.C. salon is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum, but in this case, you get what you pay for, according to their rave, five-star reviews on Yelp. This luxury hair retreat will place you in a relaxing atmosphere, with great conversation (gone are the days of awkward conversations with hair stylists!).
- Wisp Salon A bit more moderately priced, this Alexandria salon comes highly recommended on Yelp, especially where hair coloring is concerned. Clients have given many accolades to stylist Sue, who has over 15 years of experience. She takes clients by appointment only, so be sure to call and schedule your visit.
- Cynthia Santana Hair Studio, located in Alexandria, is another great option – especially if you are looking for great color or extensions in the DMV area. Clients rave that stylist Cynthia has taken their hair to new levels, and restored health into their locks. I could not find a bad review in the bunch!
- Illusions of Georgetown comes highly rated on Yelp, and boasts their specialization in all hair types. This cute and quaint salon requires a consult for all specialty services, so be sure to call ahead with any questions.
- Uppercuts Salon & Spa/Uppercuts Gentleman’s Grooming Place Let these hair professionals greet you with a drink and a smile in this National Harbor, Maryland salon chain. A glance at its Yelp page, and one can quickly see that this place caters to all hair types, and often has deals on Groupon. Make it a double date, since their Gentleman’s Grooming Place is the perfect spot for men to feel pampered, as well.
Share your local favorites with us!
Written by: Justine Robinson, Stars and Stripes Doulas of Washington DC