Five Resources for Foster Care/Adoption in the Military
- Military One Source Adoption Consultation: Military One Source has adoption consultations available to military families. These consultants help take out some of the leg work by researching agencies and providing information and resources on support groups.
- AdoptUS Kids Military Guide: This huge PDF contains information specific to military families. It was designed for social workers but contains gems of information that can be helpful.
- Adoption Reimbursement: Federal law authorizes reimbursement for certain expenses associated with adoption to a maximum of $2000 per child and not to exceed $5000 per calendar year.
- Support: Let’s face it, support is crucial on this long journey and talking specifically with other military families is important.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway Guide: A comprehensive guide for military families from the Children’s Bureau.
We’d love to hear your foster care/adoption stories, successes, and experiences, as well as any additional resources you may have for military families hoping to become foster or adoptive parents.
Written by: Owner | Lead Doula of Stars and Stripes Doulas of New Orleans