5 Things I Love About Breastfeeding
There is something special about seeing a mother feeding her baby. Of course I love feeding babies all types of ways, but this blog, it’s about nursing babies and why I love breastfeeding.
- Sleeping while feeding your baby. Lie on your side, whip out the boob, go back to sleep. This is an amazing skill. The day that baby gains control of his or her head and you feel safe lying in bed with baby while snoozing is a total game changer. You will never have sleep that is as good as those 30 minutes that you are semi-unconscious.
- Your full, seemingly perky, breasts when you haven’t nursed or pumped in hours. You know what I am talking about. First thing in the morning, you walk into the bathroom, by the mirror. STOP. Double take. AMMMMMAAAAZZZZING! Your partner notices too. But if you’re like me, if anyone comes close to those perky full breasts, you say “Touch them and I will punch you in the face!” Full frontal hugs are a thing of the past.
- You always have what you need with you when baby is ready to eat. No need to warm a bottle. No need to bring water or formula. You won’t be gone too long from the house so you don’t have as strict of a time frame for being back home.
- It is a great excuse to consume a few more calories. For every ounce of milk you make, you burn about 20 calories. The average production per day is about 30 ounces so that is an extra 600 calories a day to consume. Don’t get too carried away by eating high calorie, low nutrition food. But occasionally if you want to treat yourself to a bowl of ice cream or a Twix bar, don’t you dare feel guilty!
- Your milk is specially made for your baby. He or she does not need anything more than your milk for at least the first 6 months. S/he is getting densely nutritious food that has antibodies and other proteins, carbs, and fats.
If these weren’t enough, singing “My Milkshake Brings All the Babies to the Yard” while shaking your milk makers should have made the list, but I had to keep it to the top 5!
Author: Melanie Binversie, Owner | Lead Doula of Stars and Stripes Doulas of Washington DC