Five Tips for a Great PCS from Hampton Roads Lead Doula, Megan Harless, who is currently PCSing from Kansas to Virginia!
As a military family, it comes as no surprise when our spouses get orders for a new location every 2-4 years. Most of the time the PCS (permanent change of station) move comes with a promotion, a career education school, or after a deployment. It should also be no surprise that the military will give us PCS orders to report to the next location right after we’ve had a baby!
If moving already (usually across country or oceans) wasn’t stressful enough, moving with a baby can be even more stressful. Here are some tips to help make it easier!
- Pack Light – think about it – what does your baby really need especially in terms of clothing? A simple onesie and bottoms or a sleeper are usually enough. If you’re driving, a onesie in the car with a blanket is usually best because you can adjust the blanket based on the car’s temperature. You don’t need to pack fancy outfits, or go too over the top. In terms of clothing, simple is best.
- Take only the necessities– do you really need the rock n play, halo bassinet, swing, and bouncy seat enroute? A pack and play is usually a great piece that can provide a safe sleeping arrangement. In addition to this, a fold up tummy mat could also be easily packed and beneficial.
- Mail things in advance – Most hotels will accept packages for guests if they know ahead of time. Ship diapers, wipes, and formula to where ever it is you’re going. It’ll save some room in the car, and allow you to have extras on the other end.
- Fly to your destination – driving long distance in a car with a baby can sometimes be tough. You run the risk of of the baby then either sleeping the whole way and being up at night, or crying during the trip. Send your spouse and older children ahead of you and catch a quick flight to join them a day or 2 later.
- Embrace the adventures – We all hope the moves go smoothly without issue, however if you end up with one that is less then ideal, just remember this is a short time that will also pass. Embrace it and know that the move will soon be over!
Here’s to hoping all of your moving adventures this PCS season are great – may they be with out stress and full of fun!
Written by: Megan Harless